The requirements for audio editing software are constantly growing. Currently, users are looking for a program that can turn a PC into a real studio. And this requirement can already be satisfied.
What Makes the Best Audio Editor?
The best professional audio editing software, in accordance with current standards, is capable of supporting all processes leading to the creation of a music product:
- creation and recording of music;
- arrangements, etc.
Such complex actions are carried out by digital audio workstations (abbreviated as DAW). It is versatile software, so every DAW has the basic functionality you need to create musical compositions. However, DAWs differ in some ways. Therefore, today two questions are relevant: how to make the right choice of DAW and which DAW is the best? The answers to these questions can be found below.
How to Choose the Right DAW?
Choosing the right DAW can be difficult for musicians, especially beginners. What do you need to know in order not to be mistaken?
First of all, you need to understand what a DAW really is. The core of any digital audio workstation is basic software. Various add-ons are connected to them: plug-ins, patterns, virtual instruments, etc. The capabilities that are provided by the main programs for all DAWs are almost the same. The differences depend on the add-ons. Much depends on their compatibility with certain DAWs and how easy they are to set up. In addition, interface features are of great importance.
Often newcomers to the music world are convinced that some DAWs have much more powerful basic software than others. In fact, this is not the case. When choosing one or another DAW, you need to pay attention to the possibilities of add-ons and the peculiarities of working with them. Everything else works the same for all DAWs.
What else do you need to know about choosing a DAW? Experienced musicians recommend choosing the most popular ones. This is not to say that popular DAWs are the best. However, the popularity of the DAW means that more tips can be found on how to use it, and this makes the job of making music easier.
But the price is not always an indicator of functionality. It so happens that an expensive DAW is unable to work with the plugin you need, while a cheap one does it. Although, of course, the opposite happens more often.
What Comes With Each Popular DAW?
Let’s consider some of the most popular online audio editing programs, their features, advantages and disadvantages.
- Ableton Live has a well-thought-out interface. Its main advantage is the same adaptability for both sound recording and live performance. This is the best option for creative people who are constantly looking for new ideas. After all, a loop or sample in this DAW can be created literally with two movements of the computer “mouse”. It is one of the most flexible and user-friendly music editing tools.
- Apple GarageBand – the same DAW that is installed on the corresponding Apple devices during their manufacture. This software is ideal for beginners as it is simple and functional enough. It is easy to learn and has the most user-friendly interface. Apple GarageBand can connect a large number of add-ons for music editing. However, for professional work, this DAW is still not suitable.
GarageBand was only available for Apple devices but now the PC users can also enjoy it by downloading Garageband’s windows version.
- Logic Pro X combines ease of use with professional performance. This makes Logic Pro X one of the most popular DAWs around. Therefore, it is good not only for experienced musicians but also for beginners who easily find frequently published tutorials on the Internet for using Logic Pro X. A good addition to this software is about 70 gigabytes of content useful for musicians.
- Avid Pro Tools is known to almost every modern musician. This is a kind of standard for sound recording. And although now the functionality of this DAW is not much different from analogs, in many areas it was the first. And this is the main advantage, as manuals for the use of this software can be found all over the place.
Which DAW Is the Best for You?
Every user sooner or later asks the question: “Which DAW I should use to mix my song“? I hope you already understand that there are no universal recipes for choosing a DAW. In order not to be mistaken in the choice, you just need to be clear about your own goals and preferences in editing music.