An essay is a rather short writing work expressing one’s opinions on a particular subject or issue. Essays should follow a particular and strict structure, which is supposed to help organize thoughts and ideas so that a reader can follow and comprehend the text easily. The structure itself can vary according to the essay goals or topic, but, anyway, you cannot write not following one.
The purpose of the essay is to develop such skills as independent creative thinking and organizing one’s own thoughts. Writing an essay is extremely useful because it allows the author to learn how to formulate thoughts clearly and competently, structure information, use basic concepts, highlight cause-and-effect connections, illustrate experiences with relevant examples, and argue their conclusions.
Before thinking of the structure and proceeding to the actual writing, you should read the essay question/topic carefully. Then you may give yourself some time, around 30 minutes, to think and brainstorm. Write the ideas down and decide how suitable or relevant they are. Cross out ideas that do not match. You might also want to include some quotes or phrases, so make a list of them. Now you should indicate the main points to answer the essay question. If it is hard to be creative at this point, one should ask for help from their supervisor or tutor. Anyway, in case you do not feel like writing, think that your paper will not be of good quality or you simply do not have enough time for the task, you can always get professional help from some college paper writing service. In case you feel you have enough energy and inspiration, you should continue by outlining your essay.
Another good way to get help is to visit CustomEssayMeister.
1. You can follow a regular five-paragraph structure with an introduction, three paragraphs of the main body, and a conclusion.
2. After having chosen the topic and brainstormed the ideas, you need to do deep research. Check the articles and other academic papers written on your topic. You need to get familiar with the current state of the issue you are going to investigate. The results of your research will help you come up with good arguments and get inspired in general while writing this essay.
3. Next, you will need to support your arguments. For that, you should include quotations. Choose the most appropriate quotes to use as evidence. Then think about how to combine your findings in a logical way.
4. The next step for you is to state the aim of your essay in the introduction part. Indicate the problem and decide how you are going to answer the question. In the main body, develop your arguments logically and organically. You should provide all the reasons that support your arguments and prove your point. In conclusion, you just summarize all the things mentioned before. Remember not to introduce any new information. In the end, try to be convincing for your readers.
5. Unlike tests, writing an essay is not limited in time. You can rewrite it many times, and ask your friends or tutor to proofread your essay. Take advantage of all the opportunities and try to avoid common mistakes.
6. You should double-check your work. Search for any spelling mistakes, repetitions, and ambiguous expressions. Try to avoid clichés and slang.
7. In addition, you need to double-check everything to see if some information you provided is irrelevant or extra so that you might need to delete it. Keep in mind the importance of a coherent and clear structure. Make sure you used common transition words like first, next, hence, last, etc. These simple words can help you organize your thoughts and your readers follow them. Smooth navigation will improve the text’s perception and result in higher marks.
Even though the essay planning might seem scary and boring part of the writing, in fact, it is crucial. A proper structure organized in a cohesive way allows you to be focused and smooth with your words. Thus, the essay does not become just a compilation of ideas somehow related to the topic.
However, everyone might have their own flow and way to do things, so, if you are serious about mastering your essay writing skills, you should adjust these general recommendations to your personal style of work. Yet, do not overthink and overcomplicate the task. Remember, it is just a text.