How to Repair MDF Files in SQL Server Database?
MS SQL offers an excellent internal structure when it is used in relational databases. Many organizations use it to save important business data. Therefore, it is important to know about the basics of SQL recovery.
Sometimes, the SQL database can get corrupted, making all the data inaccessible. SQL recovery can be a difficult task if you don’t know about all the right way used to retrieve it. So, let’s talk about all the best solutions for SQL recovery.
Reasons Behind Corrupt SQL Databases
There are many different reasons behind corruption in SQL databases. If the MDF files get corrupted, they can corrupt the entire database. Hence, you must know about all the possible reasons behind MDF file corruption:
- Corruption in storage media where all the MDF files are stored
- If the SQL database is stored in a compressed folder, it is possible that the MDF files get corrupted due to that.
- Changes done in the SQL Server account
- User deletes the data accidentally
- Disk driver or hard disk becomes defected
- The file header is corrupted
- Abnormal system shutdown or abrupt power failure can also cause corruption in MDF files
How to Repair MDF Files Manually?
There are many manual methods used for SQL recovery. However, these solutions do not guarantee database recovery.
The user can use MDF files (log files) of the SQL Server to restore the corrupt database. However, the backup files usually get corrupted as well. So, log files may not be enough to restore the database.
Another alternative way to recover and restore the corrupt database is by using the database console demand: DBCC CHECKDB. This command can help to fix minor corruption issues in the database.
If the system finds any corruption errors, it will recommend the users to use one of the following repair options to fix the issues.
It maintains the syntax for backward compatibility only.
This repair option can do quick repairs such as repairing missing rows in non-clustered indexes.
Repair Allow Data Loss
This command tries to fix all the errors that the system reports. However, it can cause the loss of data.
What if the Manual Method Does Not Work?
As mentioned earlier, manual methods don’t provide a surefire solution. They have many limitations and may fail. Furthermore, you need to have a technical background to understand the nitty-gritty details of using the manual method.
Therefore, it is advised to use authentic third-party software for SQL recovery. For example, Stellar Repair for MS SQL is a useful tool that is designed to fix the most severe issue sin MDF files.
This software will carry out advanced repairs to preserve the data during the process.
Steps for SQL Recovery with Stellar
- Download Stellar SQL Repair software and install it.
- After the product is launched, a pop-up will appear on the screen. Browse the file’s location and select it. If you don’t know the exact location, you can also click on browse and search for the file.
- Once you have selected the corrupted MDF file, click on the Repair button to begin the SQL recovery process.
- You can preview any object in the right panel of the screen as they get recovered.
- After the process is complete, save the repaired database.
We hope that these methods will help you with SQL recovery.