Cognition or higher intellectual functioning and aptitude tests is an important area of assessment in critical job roles as it is a measure of one’s intellectual competence. Many organizations are coming to use the cognitive tests to measure the intelligence level of its employees and employees to be. The importance of cognitive tests is manifold and some of them are:
- Identifies the potential of the candidate: Certain jobs demand that its candidates need to possess critical thinking and problem-solving skills for decision making and strategic thinking. Based on the individual’s scores on these tests important parameters of their job behavior that includes judgment and decision making can be assessed.
- Hiring and planning: these tests are of utmost importance while hiring some of the best talents for the job and also while promoting candidates. Cognitive abilities assessment is a well-structured test that probes the cognitive strengths and weaknesses of the candidates.
- Training: The test report helps training and development managers to train employees to improve their thinking, strategic planning, and decision-making abilities. The tests thus help employees to be effective and stay productive in their jobs.
About the test:
The aptitude assessment test for cognitive evaluation has a wide application in the organization. The test can be used for key profiles in an organization such as for experienced professionals, management personnel and trainees and practically for everybody whose job role involves decision making and strategic thinking.
The test duration is about 40 minutes and the test paper involves two main sessions’ namely abstract reasoning and critical thinking. The test has an excellent reliability score and has excellent content validity.
- The abstract reasoning test: This is a non-verbal test that assesses the observational skills and strategic thinking skills of the individual. It measures the capability of the person to derive at a solution to the problem strategically and also logically evaluate it. The test consists of 25 adaptive multiple choice questions at different difficulty levels.
- Critical thinking test: This test measures the capability of the candidate to analyze a situation and derive at a logical conclusion out of it. The test is designed over three dimensions, namely evaluation of arguments, recognition of assumptions and drawing conclusions. The test assesses problem-solving skills, judgment and decision-making ability of the individual.
Cognitive aptitude tests assessment fields:
The tests assess both the fluid intelligence and crystal intelligence of the candidate. Fluid intelligence is the ability of an individual to perceive things and absorb new information for problem-solving. Crystal intelligence is the ability to retrieve and use information that has been acquired over a lifetime to perform certain tasks.
1. Abstract reasoning:
Questions pertaining to abstract reasoning evaluate the fluid intelligence or the lateral thinking skills of the candidate. It assesses their ability to identify logical patterns and trends and formulate meaningful information to solve problems. Candidates with good abstract reasoning are good at creative problem solving and at yielding novel solutions to common problems. These candidates are also capable of integrating available data logically to arrive at decisions.
2. Spatial reasoning:
Spatial reasoning is the ability of the candidate to manipulate two and three-dimensional shapes and patterns or even designs and draw at pertinent conclusions by visualizing them. Candidates with strong spatial reasoning abilities are able to analyze the work and problems quickly and draw concurrent solutions. This aptitude assessment test for cognitive evaluation demands the candidate to work on shapes rotation, shapes matching and other complex ways of manipulating solid shapes.
3. Language and comprehension:
Prospective candidates who are good at verbal ability are most probably good at their expression of thoughts and ideas. They make proper use of words to define proper sentence structure and also have a good grasp of the English grammar. Such candidates are more likely to communicate in a clear and understanding tone in a business environment. The Aptitude test to assess language monitors the candidate’s ability to comprehend and analyze verbal and written information, assess their vocabulary and their accuracy of expression along with their ability to draft error-free sentences.
4. Logical and critical reasoning:
This test is commonly used as a screening tool in the recruitment process. A candidate with a good reasoning skill will most probably feature a consistent approach in deriving at solutions. The person will be good at structuring situations and problems and manipulate the facts to arrive at presumptive solutions. The candidate who excels in the test for logical and critical reasoning is most likely to have a strong thinking and understanding process. The key competencies that are measured in these tests are the analytical reasoning and logical reasoning abilities of the candidate
Effective problem-solving skills have an important role in one’s career. Problem-solving is identified as the fundamental part of every job irrespective of the nature of the challenges in the job. Effective problem solving involves four main steps, namely identifying the problem in the first place, looking for suitable replacements for the problem, finalizing and evaluating the solutions and executing the best fit solution for the problem. The aptitude assessment tests for problem-solving is structured in a way that it will effectively test the ability of the candidate to identify and address a problem. The tests also measure the reasoning and numerical skills of the candidate along with their decision-making ability.
6. Decision making and judgment:
The cognitive assessment tools and tests assess the problem-solving skills of the candidate in an automated manner and analyses their ability to draw at a pertinent conclusion. For candidates at the managerial level decision making is an important quality and thus needs to be measured beforehand. The reports of these tests can be kept as a reference for subsequent interview rounds for further analysis and discussions.
Cognitive assessment tests for different job roles helps in filling up complex job positions in an organizational hierarchy. Different levels of assessment tests are curated depending on the specific role and the required job proficiency levels. These aptitude tests are an online screening tool for fresher and entry-level candidates and the scores of the test correlate well with their job performances.