Living in Nashville certainly has its many perks, but a night like tonight is one that you never take for granted. We, along with our peers in country music media, were blessed with the opportunity to share an intimate room with Carrie Underwood as she unveiled her new music for the first time.
What you need to know is that Cry Pretty will be released to the public on September 14. The offering contains thirteen tracks (including “Cry Pretty” and bonus track “The Champion”), nine of which list Underwood as a writer. Underwood also produced the record, along with someone she described as “fresh meat,” David Garcia.
What you should know is that Underwood, Garcia, and the phenomenal team of writers outdid themselves on this project, creating a truly captivating, unique, and magnetic body of work for fans of all genres. Of course, as with any album, there are stand out songs, such as the title track, “Drinking Alone,” “The Bullet,” “Love Wins,” and “Kingdom.” While the entire collection is overall diverse, there is a cohesiveness to it, as well, essentially putting thirteen distinct puzzle pieces together to form a perfect picture.
Underwood circa 2018 is more groovy and “vibey” than ever before, including beats that could be mirrored in an R&B style record. Those who listen to musicality as much as lyrics will notice rhythmic snapping mixed with the plucking of strings, giving the impression that a variety of influences went into every track on the project. However, even with Underwood and her team tapping into something other than country music to draw inspiration, there is no denying that she is deep in her roots, far ahead of the curve in the country space, and poised to encourage others to dabble externally to grow internally.
In Underwood’s eloquent and emotional words, Cry Pretty has “been a journey. I hope you love it. I hope you love what you’re hearing. It’s my heart.”
Thank you to Carrie Underwood and Capitol Records Nashville/Universal Music Group for a memorable evening. We are humbled and honored to have been included amongst those you chose to be the first sets of ears on an album we know will take this world by storm.
Carrie Underwood’s Cry Pretty Track List:
- Cry Pretty (Carrie Underwood, Hillary Lindsey, Lori McKenna, Liz Rose)
- Ghosts On The Stereo (Hillary Lindsey, Tom Douglas, Andrew Dorff)
- Low (Carrie Underwood, David Garcia, Hillary Lindsey)
- Backsliding (Carrie Underwood, David Garcia, Hillary Lindsey)
- Southbound (Carrie Underwood, David Garcia, Josh Miller)
- That Song That We Used To Make Love To (Hillary Lindsey, Jason Evigan)
- Drinking Alone (Carrie Underwood, David Garcia, Brett James)
- The Bullet (Marc Beeson, Andy Albert, Allen Shamblin)
- Spinning Bottles (Carrie Underwood, David Garcia, Hillary Lindsey)
- Love Wins (Carrie Underwood, David Garcia, Brett James)
- End Up With You (Hillary Lindsey, Brett McLaughlin, Will Weatherly)
- Kingdom (Carrie Underwood, Chris DeStefano, Dave Barnes)
- *Bonus Track* The Champion (Carrie Underwood, Brett James, Chris DeStefano, Christopher Bridges PKA Ludacris)