There’s just something about country and gospel music that go so intrinsically well together. Nowhere in recent memory is this more apparent than on Hillary Scott and the Scott Family’s gospel offering, Love Remains.
Hillary Scott, the frontwoman of Lady Antebellum leads her family here, which also includes her mother, Linda Davis, best known for playing the role of the other woman on Reba McEntire’s classic “Does He Love You?” Joining mom and daughter are songwriter/father Lang Scott and teenage sister Rylee. Hillary’s husband Chris Tyrell also plays drums on the project.
The project was borne from a place of pain with the passing of the Hillary’s grandfather in 2011, while the lead single was inspired by Hillary’s miscarriage in 2015. However, the project, produced by Ricky Skaggs, is one of hope and not sadness. “We didn’t want to make a sad record,” noted Lang. “You’re always sad when you lose a loved one, but if you have that faith, it gives you hope. It gives you the courage to press on.”
The album combines classic hymns with new originals that are bound to become classics, combining all that is good in country, Christian, gospel and bluegrass music for a masterpiece that inspires and uplifts.
Highlights of the album include the album’s first single, the heart-wrenching yet faithful “Thy Will” and the title track, which Hillary says “defines our family in three minutes and fifty-five seconds.” “Beautiful Messes” is a perfect opening track for the album, drawing listeners in with the music and the message while “The River” is the perfect modern Christian song.
Hillary Scott & the Scott Family’s Love Remains is truly an album with heart. You can feel the family’s heart on each track, as well as the pain, hope and faith that influenced each and every track. Sometimes, artists step out of their comfort zone musically and magic is made. The album may have provided the Scott family with hope and healing, but in the crazy tumult we live in, it will provide any listener with the same hope and healing.
Watch the Love Remains album trailer here:
LOVE REMAINS TRACK LIST:
1. “Beautiful Messes” – Connie Harrington, Ben Glover, Hillary Scott
2. “Still” – Justin Ebach, Molly Reed
3. “Sheltered In The Arms Of God” – Dottie Rambo, Jimmie Davis
4. “Safe Haven” – Hillary Scott, Bill Whyte, Sydni Perry, Jimmy Fortune
5. “Faithful Love” – Barry Dean, Don Poythress, Karyn Rochelle
6. “The River” – Jeff Pardo, Jordan Feliz
7. “Thy Will” – Hillary Scott, Emily Weisband, Bernie Herms
8. “Come To Jesus” – Chris Rice
9. “Love Remains” – Jim Daddario, Tom Douglas
10. “We March On” – Don Poythress, Kenna Turner West, Lang Scott, Linda Davis
11. “Your Unfailing Love” – Worley Max McKinney, Glenn Warren
12. “Come Thou Fount” – Public Domain
13. “Ain’t No Grave” – David Crowder, Seth Philpott, Hank Bentley