Story updated below.
Montgomery Gentry’s Eddie Montgomery is currently going through every parent’s worst nightmare with the death of his teenage son, Hunter, on Sunday after a reported accident. Despite the obvious pain he’s going through, Eddie took time to thank fans via Montgomery Gentry’s Facebook page.
“I would like to sincerely thank the thousands of people that have overwhelmed us with an outpouring of support and love following the death of my son, Hunter. My family sincerely thanks everyone for our continued privacy as we grieve.”
Hunter recently welcomed a son, Bennett, and in lieu of flowers the family has set up a fund for the 4 month old.
In lieu of flowers, Eddie and Jennifer Montgomery along with the Montgomery family have set up a fund for Hunter’s son, Bennett Reece Montgomery, at Helping Hands Ministries.
All mailed donations can be sent to Helping Hands Ministries, PO Box 337, Tallulah Falls, GA 30573. Please note “Bennett Montgomery Fund”.
You may also contribute online at: www.hhmin.org. Select “Donate to a Helping Hands Approved Project”, select “Project Category-Financial” then scroll to the Project Name: Montgomery, Bennett Reece.
According to Hunter’s obituary, funeral services will be held 3 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 1, 2015, at Southland Christian Church in Nicholasville, Kentucky with visitation being held at 11 a.m. until the service.
Not surprisingly, Montgomery Gentry canceled their show tonight in Georgia.
Unfortunately, there is now some dispute regarding Hunter’s passing. Eddie Montgomery’s ex and Hunter’s mom, Tracy Nunan, spoke with The Daily Mail and said that she isn’t quite sure why Eddie released a statement saying their son died after an accident. She says that despite rumors that Hunter died from a drug overdose, she believes he actually died from a seizure. She also says that although her son was depressed after a recent breakup, he didn’t do drugs and that he had recently passed a drug test for a new job. Sadly, she goes on to says that she was the person who found him.
‘I gave him CPR and he responded a little bit. I don’t know for how long he was without oxygen. The ambulance came and he was taken to hospital,” she said.
She does admit that the coroner did toxicology tests, but that those are common in young people who die unexpectedly. According to The Daily Mail, they spoke with a coroner (although they don’t specify if it’s a coroner actually involved in the case or not) who told them that it’s believed that Hunter died of an overdose of some sort.
On Sunday shortly after (or possibly before) it was announced that the 19-year-old had passed away, there was already chatter on the web that he had died from an overdose of “Heroin and a bad batch of Serenity.” Serenity is, I guess, a synthetic marijuana, which is something that the Mail’s report mentions. Perhaps they just caught wind of the same chatter I spotted and ran with it, or maybe there’s truth to their story, although I’m hoping that his mother is correct and Hunter just “went to sleep,” because the other option is just so sad.
Either way, I hope the family can find some peace in this horrible, horrible time.
Update: I somehow missed part of The Daily Mail’s story about the coroner. I said I wasn’t sure what coroner they talked with. Turns out they spoke with Fayette County Coroner Gary Ginn who was the person who performed the autopsy on Hunter.
‘I can confirm we are involved into the investigation into Hunter Montgomery’s death, Ginn said. ‘A post mortem has been completed and we have taken toxicology samples and are awaiting the results before a cause of death can be determined.
‘As toxicology tests have been taken there is the possibility that his death was caused by a drug overdose.’