Last October, Jimmy Wayne released Walk to Beautiful, an autobiography that is equal parts heart-wrenching and heart-warming. While most country music fans know Jimmy as the golden voice behind songs like “Do You Believe Me Now,” “Stay Gone” and “I Love You This Much,” Walk to Beautiful reveals so much more about the soul of the man behind the music.
Before the book’s release, Wayne spoke to Country Weekly about it. “This book is a milestone in my entire career,” Jimmy said. “I haven’t been this excited since I released my very first album in 2003. I’ve always wanted to share my story in songs, but that was kind of hard to get everything into three minutes. This book tells my entire life story, and I wrote it because I feel like it’s going to inspire people.”
And inspire it does. I’ve read a lot of books, but very few have inspired and stuck with me like this one. If you haven’t picked up your copy yet, I’d highly recommend it. Whether you’re looking for some behind-the-scenes gossip of the music industry or an inspirational tale of perseverance through seemingly insurmountable odds, the book truly has something for everyone.
If you’re wondering why you should read Walk to Beautiful, here are my top 5 reasons:
1. Behind-the-Scenes Gossip: You’ll read about the inner-workings of record labels, songwriting and what went into the making of some of Jimmy’s biggest hits, as well as his love for covering the Hall & Oates classic “Sara Smile.” He also talks about opening for Brad Paisley, meeting Kenny Chesney, writing with Skip Ewing and much more.
2. Positivity & Perspective: No matter how bad his life was, Jimmy’s positivity throughout the book is infectious. It left me wondering how I can be annoyed by traffic when there are kids living on the streets wondering where they’ll get their next meal.
3. Honesty: On the pages of this book, Jimmy tells his story, holding nothing back. He admits his mistakes and his faults, and in an industry clouded by smoke and mirrors, it’s incredibly refreshing.
4. Joy: There is indescribable joy with each success within this story. As he crosses the finish line of his 1,700 mile “Meet Me Halfway” walk from Nashville to Phoenix, you’ll literally want to clap and cheer.
5. Love: The story centers around love, from the unexpected to the divine. Nowhere is this more evident than in Bea and Russell Costner, who you’ll meet halfway through the story. Their image will change you, just as they, and especially Bea, changed Jimmy.
Without a doubt, Walk to Beautiful is one of the most sincere and candid books I have ever read. It moved and inspired me to live my life in a way that will be my own “walk to beautiful.”